- At the invitation of the President of the Republic of Rwanda, H.E. Paul Kagame, Prime Minister of India, H. E. Shri Narendra Modi undertook a State visit to the Republic of Rwanda from 23-24th July 2018. He was accompanied by a high-level delegation including senior officials of the Government of India. A large business delegation from India was also present for the visit. This was the first ever visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Rwanda.
- President Paul Kagame visited India in 2017 on Official visit and to participate in the Vibrant Gujarat and in 2018 for the Founding Conference of International Solar Alliance respectively. The Vice President of India visited Rwanda in 2017.
- Prime Minister Modi was accorded ceremonial welcome on arrival. During the visit, he held bilateral discussions with H.E. President Paul Kagame at the State House, Kigali on Monday, 23rd July, 2018. A state Banquet was hosted in Honour of PM by the President.
- Prime Minister’s programme included bilateral delegation level talks, interaction with the Indian community and addressing a business event jointly organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce (FICCI) and Rwanda Development Board (RDB). Prime Minister also visited the Gisozi Genocide Memorial and laid a wreath on the memorial of victims of the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi . On 24th July, the Prime Minister participated in an event in Rweru Model village outside Kigali under ‘Girinka programme’, a social protection scheme of one cow - one family and gifted cows as a contribution from India to the Scheme. This gesture was greatly appreciated
- During the talks, both leaders reviewed the entire gamut of bilateral cooperation and expressed satisfaction at the excellent relations between Rwanda and India in the overall context of Strategic Partnership. Prime Minister Modi highlighted the fact that Rwanda was the first of the new resident Indian Missions to be opened in Africa in 2018, underlining the importance attached by India to its relations with Rwanda. President Paul Kagame welcomed this development. Recalling the recent visit of President Kagame to India to participate in the Founding Conference of International Solar Alliance in March 2018, Prime Minister Modi appreciated speedy signing and ratification of ISA Treaty by Rwanda. He also expressed admiration for the remarkable growth and transformation of Rwanda under the leadership of President Kagame. Prime Minister Modi complemented President Kagame for the important role played by him as African Union Chair in finalizing the African Continental Free Trade Area Agreement that has been signed by 44 countries. He expressed hope that his leadership will guide the African Union in furthering economic integration of the Continent. He indicated India’s willingness to continue to strengthen relations with African Union.
- President Kagame thanked India for the robust Development Cooperation with Rwanda and, indeed, with other African countries. Rwanda has benefitted from projects implemented under the Indian Lines of Credit through EXIM Bank, of nearly $ 400 million (Hydropower, Agriculture, Skill Development, Infrastructure), several grant projects (VTC, Solar Electrification) and from training and scholarship programs (ITEC, ICCR, IAFS). He also expressed desire to replicate some of India’s initiatives for Digital Inclusion in Rwanda. He commended India’s leadership in spearheading the establishment of the International Solar Alliance.
- Prime Minister announced the setting up of a Task Force in the field of digital education including the provision of an e-library. This was appreciated by President Kagame, in view of the benefits it would bring to the education sector of Rwanda.
- Prime Minister suggested long-term business visa and work permit for Indians and President Kagame assured that he would look into the matter to facilitate easier travel for Indian investors to Rwanda.
- Following the talks, both leaders:
- Reiterated their commitment to increase bilateral trade and investment;
- Agreed to encourage greater people to people exchanges;
- Agreed to strengthen cooperation in the area of UN Peacekeeping as two large contributors of UNPKF in Africa,
- Agreed to consider exploring cooperation in the energy sector,
- Agreed to enhance cooperation in the health and education sectors; and
- Decided to share experience and expertise in promotion of tourism
- Both leaders condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and stressed that there can be no justification for any act of terrorism, irrespective of motivations, wherever and by whosoever committed. In this context, both leaders underlined their shared concerns on the menace of cross-border terrorism and stressed the importance of international efforts to prevent and fight terrorism.
- The leaders reiterated their commitment to intensify their cooperation in the United Nations and other multilateral Institutions in order to address current global challenges such as climate change and to foster international and regional peace and security, sustainable development.
- The following MoUs/Agreements were signed during the visit:
- MoU on Defence Co-operation.
- Bilateral Trade Agreement.
- MoU on Dairy Co-operation between ICAR (National Dairy Research Institute), India and Rwanda Agriculture and Animal Resources Development Board, Kigali.
- MoUbetween Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI), India and National Industrial Research and Development Agency (NIRDA), Rwanda.
- MoU on Cultural Exchange
- Amendment to the MoU on Cooperation in Agriculture and Animal Resources
- LoC agreements of US$ 100 million for development of Industrial Parks and expansion of Kigali SEZ.
- LoC agreements of US $ 100 million for financing components of its Agriculture Project Schemes.
- During the Visit, Prime Minister Modi made the following announcements:
- Gifting of US $200, 000 to Rwanda to support the Girinka Programme of Government of Rwanda.
- Gifting of 100,000 books of the National Council of Education Research and Training (NCERT) and to provide support for digitalization and online access of education books and related learning material.
- Setting up of the Entrepreneurship Development Centre in Kigali which would provide training to youth of Rwanda for enhancing their skills in a variety of sectors.
- Fully funded 25 slots for short term- training in the field of Dairy production and processing.
- Contribution of US $10,000 each to the Gisozi Genocide Memorial in Kigali and the Imbuto Foundation run by the First Lady of Rwanda towards the Foundation for the education of the girl child.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi thanked President Mr. Paul Kagame for the warm hospitality extended to him and his delegation during the stay in Rwanda and invited President Kagame to visit India.
Crowds at Barhi & Bokaro signal towards the huge support for PM Narendra Modi & the BJP in the ongoing State Assembly Elections
PM @narendramodi telling the people of Jharkhand to learn from Karnataka, and vote for a stable government.— Kiran Kumar S (@KiranKS) December 9, 2019
Because people will not tolerate opportunistic alliances to keep the single largest party out of power.#KarnatakaByPolls pic.twitter.com/4f5Sqiy44f
PM @narendramodi telling the people of #Jharkhand to learn from Karnataka & vote for a stable govt. He said, '#Karnataka results show that in any state,if someone goes against the Mandate of the People, they'll be Punished by the People'#KarnatakaBypollspic.twitter.com/LXH6CZNTn7 https://t.co/7diCY81SQF— Shalini Bajpai 👧 (@sbajpai2811) December 9, 2019
Connected Sir👍— DINESH CHAWLA (@dinesh_chawla) December 9, 2019
The way Naxalism has been curbed in Jharkhand in the last five years and development work has been done is really commendable.
I strongly believe that people of Jharkhand will go with the double engine of development of @BJP4India again.
Sir, Today's #KarnatakaBypolls results is a trailer of Jharkhand election upcoming result, which will bring BJP govt again in Jharkhand for building New Jharkhand in your guidance and leadership of @dasraghubar ji. This double engine will give boost to Jharkhand development— NishantS🇮🇳 (@nishants79) December 9, 2019
From successful rallies in Jharkhand by PM @narendramodi ji to the bold statements made by HM @AmitShah ji and @BJP4Karnataka's exceptional performance in the By-polls.— Amber Agarwal (@iamberagarwal) December 9, 2019
Faith in PM Modi ji's good governance has only been reaffirmed.
Thank you, India! 🇮🇳#ModiParVishwasHai pic.twitter.com/LEroKjFMzm
Wonderfulhttps://t.co/BZO8i9mjEn Shri Narendra Modi Ji, your genuine "Charisma & Versatile Leadership", is greater bliss— Venkatesapalani Thangavelu (@Ven070670) December 9, 2019
BJP at both "State & Center" progressively changes the livelihoods of Jharkhand People
It's for sure Jharkhand people will Reelect BJP with huge mandate
PM Narendra Modi chaired 54 th DGP/IGP Conference in Pune, Maharashtra; Focus was laid upon practices to make Policing more effective & role of Police in development of Northeast Region
Excellent initiative sir looking forward for better law enforcement and fast conviction— Er ashish dagwar 🇮🇳 (@ashish_dagwar) December 8, 2019
Extremely heartening to note the extensive discussions Sir & your guidance during the 54th DGP/IGP conf. Law enforcement & intelligence agencies play an important role. Respect for law is the cornerstone of democracy. Tech innovation will improve intelligence & security measures.— Dr. Suchitra Raghavachari (@DrSRaghavachari) December 8, 2019
Outstanding address laying emphasis on emergence of concrete outcomes from the finalized action points and appreciating the meticulous efforts made by the country’s police forces for maintaining general peace and tranquility in the country and ensuring normalcy.Kudos!— Dr.Swapneil B.Mantri (@drsbmantribjp) December 8, 2019
Absolutely Yes Mr Modi , North East India 🇮🇳 has great potential to be on par with Far East Asia which has tremendous potential for domestic & international tourism, besides jungle theme parks / safaris, botanical gardens, zoological institutes, river rafting, jungle lodges etc.— Richard Pereira (@rpereira1961) December 9, 2019
उत्तर पूर्व के साथ होंने वाले सौतेला व्यवहार का अंत हो गया है नव राष्ट्र वादी सरकार के आगमन के साथ और राष्ट्र वाद राष्ट्र निर्माण के नव दिनमान के आगमन के साथ ही !— Rahu (@Rahu01934950) December 9, 2019
देश का ताज़ है अपना सम्पूर्ण उत्तर पू्र्व
उत्तर पू्र्व की जय हो !
Very good initiatives . Great scope of brainstorming , informally discuss inter states related cases n above all create a uniform mind set to deal with cases against children n women , in particular rape cases. Vetern police officials from past may b invited to talk .— Alok Kumar Chaudhury (@ChaudhuryAlok) December 7, 2019
India’s progress is well on track under the leadership of PM Narendra Modi
Well done Minister Irani, well done! pic.twitter.com/s2MfRGYyhA— Shilpa Anand (@shilpaanand) December 9, 2019
This is some good news for the #Manufacturing sector— Hari Shanker (@harishankerag) December 8, 2019
40000th wheel of 2019-20 financial year produced by @RailMinIndia Rail Wheel Factory, overtaking last year production within first three quarters.
Public projects like this will ensure our #industry is growing.@makeinindia https://t.co/UWJnj6GAOv
Good News!— Harshadha Shirodkar (@shirodkarharshu) December 9, 2019
Indian Railways achieves major WiFi milestone.
Mahua Milan Railway station, that comes under East Central Railway zone, has become the 5500th station on d vast Indian Railways network to have free high-speed public WiFi facility.
Kudos to @narendramodi & @PiyushGoyal pic.twitter.com/As3vwvzBIx
Shri Nitin Gadkari called upon the automobile manufacturers to produce eco-friendly vehicles which can utilize the agro-based fuels produced from bio-mark agricultural based like paddy straw (parali) etc. #BioFuel— Aniket Jain (@autoinfo_aniket) December 9, 2019
Modi Govt's Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme is strengthening the Indian economy, alleviating corruption.— Munender Giri Goswami (ThE RoYaL DaShNaMi) (@RoYaL_DaShNaMi3) December 8, 2019
In the last five years, the Govt has saved Rs 1.41 trillion by the scheme, eliminating corrupts & middlemen from the system.#NewIndia 🇮🇳 pic.twitter.com/xmar2w6mTw