The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved the revised cost estimates for construction of Kolkata East West Corridor project as per realigned route.
Implementation Strategies & targets:
- The project will be implemented by Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited which is a CPSE under Ministry of Railways.
- Estimated completion cost of the project is - Rs. 8575 crore with Ministry of Railway’s share as Rs.3268.27 crore, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs’ share as Rs.1148.31 crore and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) loan of Rs.4158.40 crore.
- 5.3 Km long elevated corridor is already commissioned since 14.02.2020.
- Further 1.67 Km commissionedon 05.10.2020.
- The target date for completion of the entire project is December,2021.
The mega project envisions creation of an efficient transit connectivity between business district of Kolkata with industrial city of Howrah in west and Salt Lake City in east through a safe, accessible and comfortable mode of public transport. The project will ease traffic congestion and provide a cleaner mobility solution for city dwellers. It will provide an economic, efficient and eco-friendly transit solution to the city of Kolkata. It will alleviate the massive transport problem of Kolkata area which will boost productivity and growth by reducing commuting time.
It will integrate multiple modes of transport like the Metro, Sub-urban Railways, ferry and bus transport by constructing interchange hubs. This will ensure smooth and seamless mode of transport to lakhs of daily commuters.
• Benefit to people by providing a safe, efficient and environment friendlytransport system.
• Reduction in commuting time.
• Reduced fuel consumption.
• Reduction in capex on road infrastructure
• Reduction in pollution and accident
• Enhanced Transit Oriented Development (TOD)
• Increase in value of land bank in the corridor and generate additional revenue
• Creation of jobs
• Incorporates the spirit of "Atmanirbhar Bharat" and "Vocal for Local".
The Kolkata East-West Metro Corridor Project is a crucial infrastructure project for sustainable development of Kolkata City and adjoining urban localities. The project will ease traffic congestion and provide a cleaner mobility solution to lakhs of daily commuters. It will provide seamless connectivity to Kolkata, Howrah and Salt Lake through Rail-based mass rapid Transit system. It will also integrate all other modes of transport like Metro, Railways and bus transport by constructing efficient and seamless transport interchange hubs. The project envisages construction of 16.6 Km long Metro Railway Corridor including tunnel below river Hooghly which is the 1st transportation tunnel in India under any major river as well as Howrah Station which is one of the deepest Metro stations in India.