Question : Few districts in Gujarat historically had skewed girl to male child ratio. In the last ten years of your rule, this ratio has improved significantly in favour of the girl child. What steps did you take to change the social attitude towards the girl child?
Name : Ms. Satya Laka, Hyderabad
- You have touched an issue that is very close to my heart.
- Adverse gender ratio is an imbalance that needs to be corrected.
- We need to realize- Beta Beti Ek Saman (Both son and daughter are equal).
- We created a mass movement. We did Beti Bachao Andolan, roped in help from doctors, spiritual leaders.
- Today we have made great progress and there is a lot we can do which we are doing.
- The situation will change in the coming days.
- We have taken several other decisions too- if I allot a house I allot it to women, in schools we ask students to write their mother’s name first.
- Today we have 100% girl child enrollment. This is an effort to bring a new revolution.
- A society where women are not accorded respect and dignity that society cannot grow.