The Schumpeter Blog of the Economist Magazine is named after famous Economist John Schumpeter and is dedicated to issues related to Business, Finance and Management.
For its 19th October edition, the Schumpeter Column had an interesting topic “A New Business Idol” focused on how Businesses in India were looking forward to Narendra Modi.
As if to strongly underline the message of its title, the blog also had an interesting graphic feature at the top of a Narendra Modi in a suit riding a Tiger with the caption – “the great reformer”.
A few points from the column that need to be highlighted:
- How many are looking to Narendra Modi, the son of a Tea stall Vendor, to be India’s Margaret Thatcher of sorts – a populist reformer who can put India back on the path of high growth
- The appeal of Narendra Modi to Businesses across India “has substance” – Gujarat is one of India’s faster growing states and most industrialised
- Good Roads, Ports, Reliable Electricity, Lack of Corruption and Red Tape have made a difference
- Narendra Modi could build an ambitious agenda for reforms – Liberalizing Labor Laws
- At a time when confidence in India’s Economy is low a Narendra Modi led Government in Delhi is the best hope
This marks a significant shift in International Perception of Narendra Modi since he has become the BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate for the next Lok Sabha elections. It is a growing sign of the change in mood both within India and abroad.
The original article is published in india272.com